- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons Mazola® Corn, Canola OR Vegetable Oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 chayote, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 6 to 8 ounces fresh spinach OR other greens, stems removed, leaves torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges in light syrup, drained
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onion
Chayote is very mild flavoured, so the bright orange flavours really shine in this salad! Refreshing!
In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine dressing ingredients. Cover and shake until completely blended. Put chayote in a large bowl; stir in 2 tablespoons dressing, let sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Add remaining salad ingredients. Toss to mix well. Pour remaining dressing over salad and toss lightly.
Recipe Tip: The chayote (chi-Oh-tay) is a mild-flavoured squash, also called mirliton (MIR-lih-ton). A vegetable peeler works well to remove the skin except at the puckered end; you'll need a sharp knife for that. Then cut the squash in half lengthwise to remove its one seed. Use chayote raw in salads, cook it like summer squash or stuff and bake it like acorn squash.
Get Recipes Delivered!
Every month we deliver delicious recipes into your inbox for divine inspiration!