- 1 cup Crown® Lily White® Corn Syrup
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 tablespoons instant coffee powder dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter OR margarine, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon Fleischmann's® Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- COFFEE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup butter OR margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons Crown® Lily White® Corn Syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 dash salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder, dissolved in 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 to 3 teaspoons milk, as needed
- CHOCOLATE DRIZZLE: (optional)
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon butter OR margarine
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Crown® Lily White® Corn Syrup
Coffee lovers will appreciate these cupcakes.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 24 (2-1/2 inch) muffin cups with paper baking cups.
For Cupcakes: Combine corn syrup, buttermilk, dissolved coffee and vanilla in a small bowl; set aside.
Mix butter and shortening in a large mixing bowl until well mixed. Add sugar and beat at medium high speed for 2 to 3 minutes until fluffy. Add egg and egg yolk, one at a time, beating until well mixed. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Beat in a third of the flour mixture, followed by half of the coffee/syrup mixture, just until combined. Alternate with remaining flour and coffee syrup, ending with flour. Portion batter evenly into prepared pan, filling muffin cups 2/3 full.
Bake 19 to 24 minutes until cupcakes are light golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Remove to wire rack. Cool completely before frosting. Frost cupcakes with Coffee Buttercream Frosting.
For Coffee Buttercream Frosting: Beat butter, corn syrup, vanilla and salt until creamy. Add powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon dissolved coffee. Beat until fluffy, adding additional coffee and/or milk, 1 teaspoon at a time to reach desired consistency and flavor.
For optional Chocolate Drizzle: Melt 1/4 cup chocolate chips with 1 tablespoon butter. Stir in corn syrup until smooth. Transfer chocolate to a resealable plastic bag. Snip corner of bag and decorate frosted cupcakes with a drizzle of chocolate.
VARIATION: For Cappuccino Almond Cupcakes, top frosted cupcakes with 1-1/4 cups sliced toasted almonds.
NOTE: Instant coffee powders vary considerably in flavor and strength. You may adjust the amounts of instant coffee powder to suit your taste.
Get Recipes Delivered!
Every month we deliver delicious recipes into your inbox for divine inspiration!