- 1 tablespoon Mazola® Corn, Canola OR Vegetable Oil
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 pounds butternut squash, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 7 cups)
- 2 medium cooking apples, peeled, cored, coarsely chopped
- 2 small onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon leaf thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Autumn's best flavours and colours come through in this velvety, golden soup. A dab of herb butter just before serving adds an elegant, flavourful touch.
Preheat oven to 425º F.
Combine oil, ginger and cayenne pepper in a large bowl. Add squash, apples and onions; toss to coat. Transfer to a 15x10-inch baking pan. Roast vegetables (single layer) for 35 to 45 minutes, or until tender. Remove from oven.
Working in batches, combine squash mixture and part of the chicken broth in blender or food processor; blend until smooth. Transfer pureed mixture to a large saucepan. Stir in any remaining chicken broth and water. (Recipe can be made ahead to this point; cover and refrigerate up to 2 days). Bring soup to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
To make Thyme Butter:
Combine butter, thyme and garlic powder until well blended. Spoon onto wax paper and roll into 3-inch log; wrap tightly and refrigerate until firm.
To serve, cut Thyme Butter into thin slices. Ladle hot soup into individual bowls; top each with a slice of butter.
Get Recipes Delivered!
Every month we deliver delicious recipes into your inbox for divine inspiration!