- 1-3/4 cups stone ground rye flour
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 envelopes Fleischmann's® Quick Rise Yeast
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 4 teaspoons vital wheat gluten
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons butter OR margarine
- 1 square (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
A delicious and hearty bread!
Combine rye flour, 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, undissolved yeast, wheat bran, wheat gluten, brown sugar, caraway seed, salt and coffee in a large mixer bowl. Heat water, molasses, vinegar, butter and chocolate until very warm (120°F to 130°F). Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. Mix in enough reserved flour to make a soft dough that begins to clean the side of the bowl.
Turn out onto floured surface and knead 5 minutes. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Shape into smooth ball; transfer to a greased baking sheet. Loosely cover dough; let rise 40 minutes, or until almost double in size. Beat egg white and water; brush on surface of bread.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from baking sheet and cool on wire rack.
Get Recipes Delivered!
Every month we deliver delicious recipes into your inbox for divine inspiration!