- 1 tablespoon Mazola® Corn, Canola OR Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup minced jalapeño pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ancho chile seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon leaf oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black fine grind pepper
- 1 pound pork, precooked, shredded (see recipe tip below)
- 1-1/2 cups Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 4 (10-inch) flour tortillas, room temperature
- 8 toothpicks OR 4-inch wooden skewers
- 3 tablespoons Mazola® Corn, Canola OR Vegetable Oil
- Tropical Salsa
- 1 cup tomato, seeded, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups diced fresh pineapple
- 3 tablespoons red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh jalapeño pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Enjoy all your favourite chimichanga flavours in this baked version.
Preheat oven to 450°F.
Heat 1 tablespoon corn oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and jalapeño; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until onions and peppers are softened. Stir in garlic, spices and shredded pork; mix well. Remove from heat; set aside to cool.
Combine salsa ingredients, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Stir 1 cup of cheese into the pork mixture. Spoon an equal amount of pork mixture onto center of each tortilla. Fold in top and bottom of each tortilla; next fold in sides of tortillas, enclosing filling. Secure with toothpicks and place seam-side-down on baking sheet.
Brush outside surfaces of chimichangas with 3 tablespoons oil.
Bake at 450°F for 12 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and keep warm until ready to serve.
To serve, place warm chimichangas on plate, spoon salsa over top.
RECIPE TIPS: To make shredded pork, place 1 pound boneless cubed pork in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook until browned, stirring often. Cover with 2 cups chicken broth, reduce heat to low and simmer until meat is tender, and liquid evaporates, about 1 hour. Shred meat with two forks.
Chimichangas can also be made with browned ground pork in place of shredded pork.
For fried chimichangas: Heat 1 quart corn oil to 350°F in a deep fryer or large deep frying pan. Gently lower chimichangas (2 or 3 at a time) into heated oil and fry 4 to 5 minutes, turning once, until golden brown. Remove from oil, drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; serve immediately.
Get Recipes Delivered!
Every month we deliver delicious recipes into your inbox for divine inspiration!