- 1 cup (250 ml) rolled oats
- 1-1/2 cups (375 ml) hot milk
- 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons (7 ml) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) each, ground allspice, ginger and nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) softened butter OR margarine
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) each light brown sugar and granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fancy molasses
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) golden raisins
- 1-1/4 cups (310 ml) softened butter
- 5 teaspoons (25 ml) Crown® Lily White® Corn Syrup
- 2-3/4 cups (675 ml) icing sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) lemon juice
Spices, raisins and lots of complex flavour make this an excellent cake!
Stir oats with milk. Cover; let stand for 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter two 9-inch (23cm) round cake pans and line bottom with parchment paper. Stir flour with baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
Blend oat mixture with butter, brown and granulated sugars, molasses, juice and vanilla using an electric mixer. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in flour mixture. Stir in raisins. Divide batter between the two pans and bake for 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in the pans on a rack.
Frosting: Beat butter with corn syrup until smooth. Blend in sugar. Beat lemon juice until frosting is fluffy. Frost cake.
Get Recipes Delivered!
Every month we deliver delicious recipes into your inbox for divine inspiration!